When you figure that nine out of ten Canadian adults use social media, it’s clear where the best marketing opportunity is. Many organizations are on social media, yet they don’t see tangible business advantages. It can seem like social media is a waste of both time and resources in a world of competing priorities. Usually, the issue is a lack of strategy. Adding a social media consultant to your team will fix this.
A smart social media strategy focuses on hard goals like sales leads, staff recruitment and retention, brand awareness and more. Click To TweetA social media consultant will devise an effective strategy and provide a workable delivery framework. The framework connects a range of communications activities covering four main categories:
- Owned media is digital content a business owns and has full control over, such as a website or blog
- Earned media is about getting third-party media coverage for a business
- Shared media is about engaging stakeholders on social networks
- Paid media includes social media advertising, sponsored stories and native ads
Strategy development takes deep, specialist knowledge that in-house generalists are unlikely to have. That’s where working with consultants makes sense. They know a lot about the social media environment and constantly invest in keeping ahead of the curve; often not easy to do when the only constant is change.
Industry certifications prove a social media consultant’s practical skill too. Google Adwords and Analytics certifications are fundamental to online advertising and data insight. Facebook Blueprint certification and Twitter Flight School demonstrate mastery in major social networks. Certifications from HubSpot and Hootsuite show inbound marketing and social media management expertise.
Social media consultants know what they are doing when it comes to program implementation. As an outside resource, they have the capacity and agility to be iterative and incremental. Click To Tweet The idea is to launch a new initiative with something small, and then observe, adjust and build. This approach provides crucial strategic insights, reveals opportunities and inspires ideas. It’s efficient and effective.
The tools that a social media consultant brings to a project provide significant value. Most use a combination of 20 to 30 software programs and tools in their work. These tend to include the following:
- Data and insights such as Google Analytics, Sysomos, Sprout Social, Facebook Insights, Twitter Analytics, etc.
- Content development such as BuzzSumo, Hemmingway, Grammarly, EverNote, Snappa, UnSplash, Canva, etc.
- Content curation tools such as Feedly, Twitter, MailChimp, Storify, Curata, Scoop.it, List.ly and more
- Relationship management such as Salesforce, HighRise, InStream, etc.
- Automation and workflows such as Asana, Trello, Hootsuite, Buffer, BuzzSumo, Marketo, Hubspot, etc.
- Media and influencer relationships such as Cision, Agility PR Solutions, MuckRack, etc.
A consultant, with specialist skills and knowledge, can help your business win on social media. Make this your breakthrough year.
*This story contains endorsements for products and services, which means when you click on a link that I recommend, I may receive a commission. Not every link is an affiliate link, but some are.