It will allow each user to surface content that has been shared with him or her on Google+ along with information that has been shared publicly integrated into typical Web search results.
Three types of Google+ content will be included in Search plus Your World results: personal results, profiles in search and profiles and pages. Results may include non-public Google+ photos and posts that were shared with the specific user. Say, for example, someone searching for Sri Lanka will be served relevant holiday photos posted by anyone in the user’s Google+ circles. However these photos will appear only in the results of users with whom the they had originally been shared.
Google search has been showing Google+ profiles for a few months, but now the names of people with G+ profiles will appear as part of the Instant’s auto-complete service. The new profile results will also include Google+ profiles of famous people such as authors, musicians, and actors.
Search plus your world can’t be good news for the other social networks such as Facebook and Twitter as it prioritizes G+ content. Twitter did not renew its search agreement with Google last summer, and Facebook content is not indexed in the search engine in consideration of users privacy. Their content will be increasing difficult to see.
Users can opt out of the new service by adjusting their Google account search settings.
- Online petition gets country on the map
- SEO: social networks influence search rankings
- Facebook ain’t all that
- What Marketers Need to Know about Google Search Plus (greatfinds.icrossing.com)
- Dear Congress: It’s Not OK Not To Know How Search Engines Work, Either (powersthatbeat.wordpress.com)
- Twitter accuses Google of warping search results with Google+ social data (100gf.wordpress.com)