Bloggers are increasingly important in public relations, according to a white paper published today by DWPub. Eighty-two per cent of PR professionals work with bloggers to provide coverage for clients, while 98% find bloggers useful or invaluable.
Results of the survey of 252 PR professionals conducted in March this year accompany a new whitepaper called ‘The smart PR’s guide to blogger outreach’.
“The relationship between bloggers and PRs continues to provoke debate, so we decided to get the PR industry’s perspective on working with bloggers,” said Daryl Willcox, chairman and founder of DWPub. “Our survey results show an overwhelmingly positive response. Bloggers are here to stay and the PR industry is beginning to embrace them. Bloggers need to be approached in a different way to journalists – our research and whitepaper reflect this view.”
The survey looked at how PRs deal with bloggers compared to journalists – just over two thirds (67%) of respondents stated they have a dedicated approach for bloggers, with 75% of these citing they communicate with bloggers in a more informal tone.
- 26% of PR professionals say their relationships with bloggers are strong
- 54% said they have built a rapport with bloggers
- 20% don’t have strong relationships
The PR industry was also asked about how they measure the importance of a blog. Interaction with readers came top, with 48% of respondents citing number of comments, followers and presence on social media sites as key factors.
Number of views on posts that feature clients is the primary way to measure results from interacting with bloggers, with 33% stating this is their main measuring tool. Clicks through to clients’ websites came a close second (31%). Just 9% believe number of comments on a post featuring a client is the best way to measure results.
- Managing personal relationships online
- Email marketing goes social
- Canadian business owners split on social media
- Modifying the Rules of PR to Reach Bloggers (contentmarketinginstitute.com)
- Pinterest: A Blogger Outreach Secret Weapon [VIDEO] (prtini.com)
- How Should PRs Pitch to Bloggers? (umpf.co.uk)