I know we’ve been reading a lot about bad pitches from PRs these days. How about letting some bad behaviour from journos get some air time too?! If they want us to help them do their jobs, they should show a little respect.
Dos and don’ts for jounros if you want to get the best out of a PR.
- Don’t agree to interview our client and then be unavailable at the appointed hour.
- Do let us know if something unexpected comes up and you can’t make it to a call.
- Don’t ignore our calls and emails after standing us up; do offer an apology or explanation.
- Don’t reschedule a call three times and still miss it. If you don’t want to have a discussion, tell us.
- Don’t commission a story, accept it and never run it, if it fits the brief.
- Do explain why a commissioned article will not be used in the end.
- Don’t interview our client’s customer, take up an hour of their time asking tons of questions, then not write nor offer any explanation of why not.
- Don’t blank us. We can’t help you if you don’t talk to us.
- Do be courteous even when we screw up. We’re all human and just trying to do a job.
Thank-you. I feel better now.