Sometimes the work week flies by so quickly that at the end of the week, I’m not sure what I actually accomplished. Sure, I know how many hours I billed and how many new contracts came in. These are the success metrics of PR agency life.
But this week, I’ve been trying to take the time for closer observation. I’ve been taking notes (Google Keep) about lessons I learn (sometimes relearn) each day. Looking at my list at the end of week makes me think, “Wow! What a challenging and successful week!”
Here’s what I learned from PR agency life over the past five days:
- To avoid disappointment it pays to be explicit about what you want.
- Your time is precious. Don’t give it away to those who don’t appreciate it.
- To achieve your goals, sometimes you have to be assertive.
- Providing constructive feedback is an investment in future excellence.
- Never present new ideas at 5pm on a Friday.
- Say no once in a while, and mean it.
- Give people the chance to be successful.
- Consult everyone you can to make the best decisions.
- Sometimes you just have to fake it.
- Break big jobs into bite size pieces.
- Recognize that not everybody is your friend, and it’s OK.
See what I mean? Wow! Superficially this seemed to be a pretty humdrum, normal work week. But looking a little deeper, I realised I have learned a lot.
What did you learn this week?