Canada is the world’s No. 1 brand
IABC Ottawa held a breakfast yesterday with speaker Greg Klassen, senior vice-president, marketing strategy and communications, from the Canadian Tourism Commission (CTC). He showcased how the CTC leverages its unique brand, ranked #1 in the world, to gain a competitive advantage for Canada’s tourism industry.
He told the crowd gathered about how the forces of complexity, technology, and globalization are accelerating change and increasing volatility in the tourism industry. He said that Canada’s tourism brand competes vigorously as an unique, exotic and off-the-beaten-track destination. In fact, for the second year running, Canada has been ranked the #1 country brand in the world.
His presentation included the marketing data his organisation uses to maximise its efforts. He covered the purchasing model of today’s travellers and described how the CTC is establishing new marketing ‘best practice’.
The Ottawa Twitteri were on hand too. Here’s sample of some of their tweets:
- 58% of the of the decision to visit Canada is based on the Canada brand. #IABCOttawa. Brian Parsons
- More on Environics’ social values research here environics.ca/social-value… #iabcottawa, Victoria Procunier
- Great presentation w impressive brand visuals-postcards of Canada. Thanks, Greg Klassen “it takes brains and risk not money” #iabcottawa. Basia Vanderveen
- Love the CTCs research about the traveler’s purchase decision path. Really digging deep to understand, strategize #iabcottawa, Victoria Procunier
- Right person, right category and right experience: key components of advocacy, says Glen Klassen #iabcottawa. Kristine Simpson (colleague)
- Interesting theory – brand advocates don’t love your brand, they like what your brand does for them. #IABCOttawa, Sheila Bergeron (client)
- My social capital in Ottawa
- Ottawa’s Thursday Nite pints tweet up
- ITV’s coverage of Isle of Man Twestival
- I hope you like pictures of mountains. And bear hats. (addtova.com)
- Going to Saskatoon? This App’s Got You Covered (mediabistro.com)
- Canada’s moral superiority? (nechakogal.wordpress.com)